This wholesome Roasted Hen and Potatoes with Broccoli made with a lightweight garlic butter sauce may be my new favourite sheet pan meal. It is bought every part I like – completely roasted hen, crispy potato wedges, and roasted broccoli all cooked on the identical pan for straightforward cleanup.
Hen and potatoes are a staple in virtually each family however it could possibly rapidly get boring. Plain hen breast, a easy baked potato, and possibly a steamed veggie or salad. It is simple and wholesome, however let’s be sincere, it is not essentially the most thrilling dinner. That is the place this recipe is available in. It takes all the weather of a basic hen, potato, and vegetable dinner however makes it one thing you’ll crave. Let’s be actual, every part tastes higher when it’s coated in a wealthy garlic butter sauce and roasted to deliver out all of the flavors.
It is also the kind of meal that’s simple to drag off on a busy weeknight with out the necessity to get out one million pans or fear about timing out a bunch of separate dishes. From begin to end, you may make the entire dish in 30-40 minutes relying on how rapidly you possibly can chop. You’ll be able to all the time use chopped bagged broccoli and smaller hen breasts or cutlets to hurry issues up.
Since hen, potatoes, and broccoli do not cook dinner in the identical period of time, it is vital to begin by roasting the potatoes. It would be best to reduce them into pretty small wedges so they do not take hours within the oven. Normally, I get Eight-10 wedges per potato by merely chopping the potato in half lengthwise after which chopping the halves into Four-5 wedges. These will cook dinner for about fifteen minutes on their very own earlier than you add the hen and broccoli. Doing this ensures you get crispy, totally cooked potatoes with out ending up with dry, overcooked hen.
Now let’s discuss concerning the sauce for this hen and potatoes for a second. The key to getting tons of taste with out having to make use of tons of oil or butter is to make use of hen broth. It can add a pleasant, wealthy taste to the entire dish. And when it’s paired with numerous freshly chopped garlic and herbs from the Italian seasoning, it turns into one thing wealthy and magical.
Ideas for this Roasted Hen and Potatoes with Broccoli
- Hen: If doable, I usually attempt to use natural hen breast or a hen breast that does not have added liquid. Not solely are these hen breasts smaller, additionally they launch a lot much less water once they cook dinner. In case you are utilizing bigger hen breasts, I might suggest chopping them in half, like a hen cutlet, so they’ll cook dinner within the 12-15 minutes the recipe requires. If you happen to assume they’ll take longer because of the dimension, you possibly can add them earlier within the cooking course of. Simply wait so as to add the broccoli in order that it would not burn.
- Veggies: Though I’m an enormous fan of roasted broccoli, numerous individuals prefer to make this recipe with inexperienced beans. Hen, potatoes, and inexperienced beans is unquestionably a preferred alternative and can work tremendous with this recipe. Carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, and snap peas are all good choices as effectively.
- Low carb and paleo: For Paleo of us, you need to use candy potatoes as an alternative of white potatoes. You would additionally use turnips, rutabaga, or celeriac for a low carb twist.
- Spice blends: The choices are countless with how one can taste up this meal. I like it with the rosemary and thyme that is in a basic Italian seasoning mix. It is also scrumptious with Cajun seasoning for a spicy kick, home made or store-bought ranch seasoning, or lemon pepper.
Are you able to cook dinner hen and potatoes collectively?
That every one is determined by the dimensions of the hen, a part of the hen, and the dimensions of the potatoes. Let’s begin with the fundamentals. At 400 levels, it is going to take 45-60 minutes to roast child potatoes, halved smaller potatoes, or quartered common potatoes. When you have items bigger than that, it is going to take longer and you probably have items smaller than that, will probably be sooner. Since I wished these potatoes to cook dinner in 30 minutes, I went with smaller wedge fashion items. Now let’s discuss hen. As you will have anticipated, it is determined by dimension. A 6-Eight ounces ounce thick breast will in all probability take between 25-35 minutes. A bone-in hen breast will take 45-60 minutes. Bone in thighs take about 30-40 minutes and boneless thighs take 20-25 minutes. Once more since I wished the hen to be totally cooked in about 15 minutes, I went with smaller breast items.
So to cook dinner hen and potatoes collectively, you simply want to decide on a mix that works or add one ingredient later within the cooking course of, like we did on this recipe. If one thing would not go proper, you possibly can all the time take away the hen or potatoes early to forestall overcooking. Additionally, in case you are ever fearful about uncooked hen or it not being totally cooked, I like to recommend buying a meat thermometer and utilizing these USDA pointers. I included my favourite on the backside of the submit.
Can I add rosemary to this dish? I like rosemary hen and potatoes.
Sure! After I first beginning making this recipe and sharing it with buddies, I might all the time get requested about rosemary. You’ll be able to completely add it. Simply add 1-2 teaspoons of freshly chopped rosemary to the sauce. Additionally, there’s some rosemary within the Italian seasoning I really helpful, so you’ll nonetheless get a few of that taste in case you observe the recipe.
Merchandise and instruments used to make this recipe:
- There are every kind of Italian seasoning on the market. Normally, I make my very own or use this one which yow will discover on the grocery retailer or on Amazon.
- I’ve this meat thermometer and like it. It really works within the oven and on the grill and makes it tremendous simple to test the temperature of your meat because it cooks. For anybody who’s nervous about cooking meat and/or overcooks meat often as a result of these nerves, it is a worthwhile funding.